Custom Stickers, Die Cut Stickers, Bumper Stickers - Sticker Mule



Sharing information and reporting on all that reeks in American education, especially corporate reform in K12 education, the agenda to privatize the right to a free public education for every child, and general corruption in K12-higher education. Calling out and exposing rather than cowering.

AND eager for your help. Have a story of power, manipulation, self-interest or injustice which needs attention? Let me know and we'll let the world discover "what's that smell."

"If you're a profession of sheep, then you'll be run by wolves." -- David C. Berliner

"Journalism is printing what someone else does not want printed: Everything else is public relations." -- George Orwell

"Washing one's hands of the conflict between the powerful and the powerless means to side with the powerful, not to be neutral." -- Paulo Freire


PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT! ;)

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT! ;)

Monday, September 7, 2015

What You Can Do RIGHT NOW to Address Economic Equity Gaps in Public Schools: Interlude II

Reforming Pay-to-Play Policies In Public Schools to Shrink the Mobility Gap, Grow Opportunity Gap

As college football revs into high gear and public schools begin across the nation, one of Robert Putnam’s suggestions for addressing poverty and economic inequities between affluent kids and poor kids resonates as particularly timely. In Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis, a steadfast Putnam believes extracurricular activities offer “as close to a magic bullet” for closing opportunities gaps as Americans are able to find (258). However, currently an odious element inherent in extracurricular participation in school-based happenings wedges have-nots from affordances offered the better-off.

High school and college sports season is upon us, including exciting
match-ups like this one pitting my Masters-degree-granting institution
against my undergraduate alma mater

Pay-to-play policies are the culprits, called “perverse” by Putnam, who matter-of-factly states:
[I]f you are concerned about the issues discussed in this book, here is something you could do right now. Close this book, visit your superintendent – better yet, take a friend with you – and ask if your district has a pay-to-play policy. Explain that waivers aren’t worth the paper they’re written on, because they force kids to wear yellow stars….Explain that everyone…will be better off if anyone in the school can be on the team or in the band. Insist that pay-to-play be ended (258).
Putnam suggests offering one’s assistance in serving poor children better as well, both in class and beyond it. He sees coaches, mentors, and others serving in extracurricular leadership capacities as offering some of the best hopes for progress in addressing the opportunity gap. Perhaps this is because “Involvement in extracurricular activities has been shown repeatedly to have measurably favorable consequences,” a truth “even after controlling for family background, cognitive skills, and many other potentially confounding variables” (174).  According to Putnam, among the favorable consequences of engaging in extracurricular goings-on are:
  • ·         Higher grades
  • ·         Lower drop-out rates
  • ·         Lower truancy
  • ·         Better work habits
  • ·         Higher educational aspirations
  • ·         Lower delinquency rates
  • ·         Greater self-esteem
  • ·         More resilience
  • ·         More civic engagement
  • ·         Even higher future wages and occupational attainment (174)
  • ·         Building soft skills and character (176)

Little wonder Putnam calls extracurriculars and those who support them “magic!”

 Indeed, when kids take on leadership positions within such activities, research suggests the benefits are even more impressive. While sure to point out that few studies coming to such conclusions are “true experiments” in that participants cannot be randomly assigned as a participant or nonparticipant, meaning there could be other variables correlating success and involvement in extracurriculars, Putnam sticks to his researcher’s hunch that enough evidence exists to note the longstanding correlations as pertinent and important.

Does my home-town district have pay-to-play policies? Like many adults, I
have no idea, but Robert Putnam says knowing this information and fighting against
such policies where they exist is key to addressing mobility gaps for students. 
Putnam does not hesitate to state that “extracurricular participation matters for upward mobility,” but poor kids are between 30%-50% less likely to participate in sports and/or clubs than more-affluent peers (176). Indeed, as with so many other social constructs mentioned in Our Kids, richer kids’ rates of participation are rising at the same time as poor kids’ rates of participation are falling (177). Surely pay-to-play policies marginalize would-be participants from poor families. Putnam calls such policies “insidious” (180) and sees them as indicative of the cultural shifts away from a sense of communal responsibility toward a community’s young people and toward segregation and institutionalized, generally-accepted segregation.

Pay-to-play fees take many forms. Some, where pay-to-play is supposed to be illegal, take the form of donations that are de facto mandates. Other districts enforce fees to play certain sports or to be in the band. Equipment costs may be part of the fees or another added expense. While some schools offer waivers for poorer kids, Putnam claims that the “inevitable stigma attached to the waiver” (181) may be enough to keep less-affluent children away.

Given that poor kids are even less likely to participate in after-school activities that are not school-based, eliminating pay-to-play policies could facilitate the “modest leveling effect on extracurricular participation” that public schools can provide (181).

 As a former band geek from a working-class family, I can attest to the discipline, structure, and sense
That's me, leading the band in 1993 or 1994,
building my skills with the help of the school
community, my band directors and boosters.
of place I found in extracurriculars like jazz band and marching band. While I remember my family purchasing a clarinet for me in middle school via a rent-to-own program, I do not remember paying any fees for using replacement instruments or when I switched to bass clarinet, contra-bass clarinet, or alto and tenor saxophones, all provided by the school. I remember that we had to buy reeds, but even those costs could get defrayed when it was clear a player needed one for the greater benefit of the band.

Our band boosters were busy, to be sure, and we still scrimped. I remember impressing the band directors when I noticed that if we cut our music holder folders in half and stapled the loose half along the side and bottom, we could save by not having to purchase as many over time, for example.

Surely I felt the sting of not being from the North side of town (readers from my hometown will understand why I capitalize “North”) and being known as a weird kid a little rougher around the edges than many.  For example, while it was a longstanding tradition for the drum major to earn the MVP award at the end of the year, that didn’t happen in my senior year. I know that because that was the second year I was drum major for the marching band, one of the very first instances in my life of folks telling me I was “robbed” of a deserved honor.

I remember beating out every other contender for drum major by a two-to-one margin when try-outs were held. The entire band voted after seeing us lead a small portion of our band, which was a diverse unit in many ways. Had it not been socioeconomically diverse, I doubt I would have won despite a superior performance.  As evidence of my prowess, I do not mean that I beat the second place finisher by twice as many votes. I mean I outscored the entire field by twice as many votes.

Still, I seemed an unlikely outsider by the two directors, both of whom seemed to want to talk me out of the position at times. I recall a trumpet player encouraging me to use the whistle one director had given me at our first football game, resulting in a desired rejection from the stadium that the football coaches were able to talk officials out of enforcing in favor of a fifteen yard penalty. That director must have just assumed I knew not to blow the whistle during a game. Obviously (perhaps very obvious to the trumpeter) I didn’t have that cultural cognizance yet!

 I remember the other director asking if I really thought I could direct music after I showed her my skills and misdirected beats two and three of a four-four stroke, taking beat two to the outside of my body and beat three to the inside. Generally, though, once they saw I had a fire and mettle, they supported me as peer leader of the band.

Most of all, regarding the process by which I became drum major, though, I recall creating and practicing my kata, calling commands and executing them in reverse, on an empty red-clay field beside our trailer home, drawing the attention of a nearby neighbor who wanted to know why I was yelling and refused to chain the pit bull who accompanied him and who the neighbor made sure to inform me I was disturbing. It was under that pressure and duress that I honed the sequence that won me that two-to-one margin.  

I know it's all in how you breed them, but I had no idea
how my curious neighbor had bred his pit bull. 
As well, when our high school band was chosen to visit Paris, France, for a New Year’s parade, family and boosters and other donors made sure I was able to go, though I did have to remind one director, who asked me why I thought it was more important for me to attend than it was for others in the band to attend, of my position.

Overall, my ability to participate in band in high school and the influences that facilitated my full participation helped instill a confidence in me that I could not only do well in life, but that I could lead in my own way. While currently I’m at a low point in my career and personal life, still not fully employed and an outsider to my chosen fields in academia and struggling to find my place again, the discipline, resiliency and character-building I learned through this extracurricular forged my previous success and will have instilled in me the stuffs I need to be successful again. 

Had my district enforced pay-to-pay policies, I might never have thought I was worthy enough to lead peers, to march to my own beat while fully capable of leading the beat of others.


I join Putnam is asking you to address opportunity gaps in your children’s schools by eliminating pay-to-play policies in favor of strategies that embrace an “our kids” mentality. Putnam is short on specific strategies, but he appears to see parental and community activism as the start of alternatives to these insidious, segregationist requirements. 

For more on pay-to-play in public schools, including concrete suggestions, see *"The Activity Gap"*  and resources *here* and *here.*

No comments:

Post a Comment